Thursday, August 13, 2009

World Record or Olympic Gold Medal

When Usain Bolt won the gold medal and set the world record at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games in the 100m sprint he slowed down at the end. In an interview he was asked "world record or gold medal" his answer was "Gold Medal hands down..."
If you had the choice of setting a world record or winning an Olympic gold medal, one or the other, which would it be?

For me it'd be a world record. You could say "I am faster than anyone else." And you'd be right. No one would have a case against you. Chances are that when the Olympics come around you would have had an injury beforehand and not have had as much time to train as anyone else. Therefore when you are at your best you are faster than anyone else and faster then the gold medalist. Or if someone younger than you beats you when you are older. You can say "when I was in my prime, like you are now, I'd beat you."

On the other hand it is pretty unlikely your world record would stick around for very long. But if you won an Olympic gold medal you can say I won a gold medal at an Olympics and you could say that forever. You could show your kids and your grand kids your gold medal. But you can't show them your little medal saying "World Record."

So if anyone reads this please post something on your blog or comment and share your opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I'd go for the gold medal. That would be on the record books forever; a world record would only be remembered until somebody beat your time. I like your blog-keep posting and keep running!

    ReplyDelete